Upper Nazareth Township Special Recycling Meeting – March 12, 2014
CLICK ON A LINK BELOW TO SEE MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT’S HAPPENING IN THE TOWNSHIP…
Upper Nazareth Township Housing Rehabilitation Program
Upper Nazareth Township has funds available for the Township-wide Housing Rehabilitation Program designed to assist eligible homeowners with major repairs and improvements to their homes. Amounts up to $24,999 are available to income eligible homeowners who meet certain criteria. The housing rehabilitation program is funded through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and/or HOME Program. For more information and to obtain an application, interested parties should call Betty Parrish, CDBG Coordinator, at 610-759-5341, Ext. 205. Click here for an application
Upper Nazareth is a second class township located in Northampton County.
Upper Nazareth Township is a suburban community of 7.35 square miles. We are a fast growing Township growing from 3,413 persons in 1990, to 4,686 persons in 2000 to 6,231 persons in the 2010 census.
Our Community has access to a large number of retail stores and shopping centers located in Lower Nazareth Township and Nazareth Borough. There are also 7 major malls within a 30 minute ride. The Township has industrial areas which are conveniently located near major highways. These industrial areas contain primarily light industrial types of businesses.
Upper Nazareth Township is within the Nazareth Area School District along with Lower Nazareth Township, Bushkill Township, and the Boroughs of Nazareth, Stockertown, and Tatamy.
History of Upper Nazareth Township
The area of Upper Nazareth Township was originally a part of the Barony of Nazareth which William Penn had created for his daughter Letitia. It was a parcel of land consisting of 25,000 acres pledged to his daughter in 1682. This land area was a part of Bucks County until 1752, when Northampton County was established. Upper Nazareth was a part of Bethlehem Township until 1788. Nazareth separated from Bethlehem Township in 1807 and was divided into Upper Nazareth Township and Lower Nazareth Township. The central area of Upper Nazareth Township separated via a petition of some of the residents and this area became Nazareth Borough on November 27, 1858. The boundaries of Upper Nazareth remained unchanged until December 3, 1948; on petition of a majority of freeholders, the Borough Council of Nazareth ordained the annexation of portions of Upper Nazareth Township chiefly in the western part of what is today the Borough of Nazareth.
There have been no changes in the boundaries of Upper Nazareth Township since 1948 (to see the boundaries of Upper Nazareth Township, please click here).